Thursday, October 10, 2013

Love you, mama part II

                Picking up where I left off last week:  The doctor told us that something had happened to mom’s heart.  He told us that a major artery of the heart called the Aorta, had split into 2.  This called an aortic dissection.  It is a very serious condition because the main job of the Aorta is to pump blood from the heart to the rest of the body.  So if there is a tear in this artery then the blood is being pumped out of the heart and not getting to any other artery.  It collects in the chest cavity and descends to the stomach.  He explained that this was why mom felt pain in her chest and stomach.  He also told us that it explained why the doctors at the previous hospital had suggested just rest and some medication.  You wouldn’t rush someone to the heart hospital for stomach pains.
                Anyways, after he told us this he explained what was going to happen next.  He said that mom would have to go in for surgery immediately in order to repair the split and save mom’s life.  So 2 men came in and allowed my family and I to walk as mom rolled through the hospital until we arrived at what the 2 men called the “Goodbye hallway.”  We couldn’t go with mom any further, so we all said our goodbyes.  It was one of the hardest things I had ever done.  Not knowing if I would see mom again alive eat me up inside but I knew I had to hurry and let her get to surgery in order for her to have a better chance of survival.  So I hugged her and kissed her head and told her “Love you, mama.”  She smiled up at me and said “Love you more, baby.”
                My family and I was directed toward the waiting room where we distracted ourselves with coin games and magazines.  Before the doctor had come into the patient room to tell us what was wrong, mom had given me her phone and told me to text and call her close friends to let them know what was going on.  It was really hard to keep my voice from shaking as I told our close family friend Ms. Jeanie what had happened.  She was so soothing and kind and said she would meet up with the family and I at the hospital with some of mom’s other friends.  It felt good to know more people would be here thinking of mom
                When Ms. Jeanie and the others arrived it was hugs galore.  As soon as I saw Ms. Jeanie I started crying again.  She held me tight and pet my hair and told me things would be alright.  When she say that our only food options were the vending machines she immediately ordered us all pizza and drinks.  She is an amazing woman.
                My dad had called his dad and brother and told them about the situation.  They both made it to the hospital around 2 in the morning.  Then we all waited…and waited…and waited.  My sister and I had fallen asleep on a couch in the waiting room when dad woke us up.  The doctor had come in to tell us how the surgery went.
                More next week.  Until next time

Devi
Mom and I after graduation
Mom and Dad


2 comments:

  1. oh my god ahha. That's literally so intense! Having an aortic dissection just sounds straight painful.. I really hope that she's okay! I love how you remember almost everything about this event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like reading your blog, I really think that you have a very awesome parent and very great family. Your blog really make me think of a lot of things about my family. Anyway, good luck and enjoy yourself with your family.

    ReplyDelete